Monday, April 25, 2011

Time off?

PTO - Paid Time Off, or in other context Parent Teacher Organization. So if you work a job, you get PTO, or as others call it, vacation time. But for those who do most of their work for their family at home, what do we call it? I have to start by saying I do not mean any negative toward my loving husband on this. He is always supportive and makes it happen for me if and when I do want to go somewhere. I just had one of those ah ha moments this weekend. While we had family here, we decided that going to the zoo would be a perfect thing to do for the afternoon on Saturday. I was feeling overwhelmed with life and the house and really preferred to get a few more things done, such as taking that pile of stuff sitting by the garage door, to Goodwill. And running to the grocery store for the fixings for our taco dinner we had planned for that night. Because of what I was looking at needing to get done yet, I asked my loving husband if he would mind if I stayed home to finish these last few things. As always, he was supportive and took everyone else to the zoo. Apparently they had a conversation in the car on the way to the zoo about the amount of time that I am away from the girls - that being not very often. This translated as this time that I had without my girls, while they were at the zoo, was my "time off". In the time they were gone, I went to Goodwill to donate a trunkful of items, went to Sendiks for produce and meat and then to Pick n Save for the remainder of the fixings needed. I then headed home to grab the Red Box movie that I forgot to return to Pick n Save. While at PNS, I also grabbed a new toy for Cooper. I then proceeded home to play with Cooper and get a lunch/snack spread ready for the crew that was returning home. Then everyone arrived home. so that was it, my time off. Is that really my time off? That's what I get, time to prepare and organize things for my family. What a bummer. Should have just forgot about all those things and gone to Starbucks for coffee and a book. What was I thinking?

1 comment:

  1. When Gabe was little and much more needy/clingy, I used to feel like Tahd's time at work was his time off! lol I agree with you, though - time without the kids doesn't equate to time off! Far from it! Lately I feel like I need a girls' weekend - or at least a girls' overnight. Doesn't that sound fun?

    ReplyDelete